This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to our: Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Let’s talk training and qualifications in school.

You don’t have to be out of school to start your qualification, traineeship or apprenticeship. If you want to get qualified, you can apply for a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship (SAT), participate in vocational education training (VET) in school or undertake an external course while also completing year 12.

Why not do both?

SAT and VET in-school opportunities are typically offered as part of your senior studies, which means you can gain workplace training and keep hanging with your mates in class.

A training qualification can help you step into work after school, or you can use it to help you get into further education and training. It’s up to you.

What can I do?

The training world is your oyster – check out the various industries SATs options and VET options are offered. You’ll probably be surprised at what’s on offer, from aircraft maintenance to parks and gardens trades, electrician to hairdresser, hospitality, marine craft construction, pastry cooking and more. If you already have an idea of what you’re interested in and know an employer, you can talk to them and your school about your options.

How do I get in?

You’ll find all you need to know in the links below, but the short story is this.

School-based Apprenticeships and Traineeships (SAT)

  • First, you just need to have approval from your parent/guardian to apply. Then you can work with the school to sign a training contract with the employer (outlining the length and scope of the apprenticeship). Having the school help you apply means you can access help and guidance from the school and make sure you’re covered. Find out more about SAT options.

Vocational Education and Training (VET)

  • There are a few options to enrol in VET in school. Nationally recognised VET is delivered by a registered training organisation (RTO), which may be the school, or another RTO (TAFE or private training provider etc). Undertaking VET in senior schooling years can also provide credits toward completing your Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE). Find out more about VET pathways.

Will the school help me?

Sure will! The school will be able to provide support to ensure your training agreement is completed within the terms set out, and also provide support to help you continue your education and complete your QCE.